About the Project
Galway City and Galway County Council commissioned the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway to undertake an industrial baseline study to support the development of an economic plan for the city and county.
This project has three core elements that provide underpinning data to support the next phase of the development of an economic plan for the city and county.
- White Papers: These provide background information in relation to Innovation; Innovation and Entrepreneurship Policy Overview: US, EU and Ireland and Macro and Firm Level Innovation Measurement and Indicators. Read more in the Resources section.
- Sectoral Overviews: We have conducted 9 sectoral overviews of key sectors for Galway City and County - creative, agriculture, education, retail, tourism, food, marine, information, communications and technology and medical devices. Read more in the Resources section.
- Visualisation using Public Data: We have identified key data points that are relevant to the development of an economic plan and using public data sources visualized and mapped them so you can compare your area to another as well as providing aggregated data for both City and County.
The Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway.
Team: Dr. James Cunningham was formerly the Director of the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway and is now Professor of Strategic Management at Newcastle Business School; David Kelly is research technologist at the Whitaker and Moore Institutes at NUI Galway; Brendan Dolan and Chris Young are research fellows at the the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway.
Contact - Email: email@example.com, Phone: +353 (0)91 492817.
Community & Culture Department, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway.
Contact - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (091) 536400
Community, Enterprise and Economic Development, Galway County Council, Áras an Chontae, Prospect Hill, Galway.
Contact - Email: email@example.com, Phone: (091) 509521
Data & Technology Credits
The project uses data from a variety of sources:
- Galway City Council
- Galway County Council
- Enterprise Ireland
- Western Development Commission
The project is built on a number of open source technologies:
- Homepage map image showing individual companies in Galway: design by David Kelly, map imagery © Mapbox, map data © OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA
- Parts of the design are based on the work of Census Reporter, a Knight News Challenge-funded project released as an open source project (see the GitHub repository) under an MIT license.
- Maps data © OpenStreetMap contributors CC-BY-SA, Map Tiles courtesy of OpenStreetMap Sweden.
- Open source tools used for front-end development: D3.js, Leaflet, Underscore, jQuery, Handlebars, and Bootstrap