- The City and County have a variety of Farmers markets, food festivals, and other food promotion activities to benefit companies working in the food sector in Galway.
- There are 30 market locations in Galway City and County where food is being sold.
- The Growing Galway Food project identified 320 small food producers and 332 small food buyers.
- 53% of food producers employ between 1 and 2 people including the founder/owner.
- 40% of food producers ran their production from home.
- 70% of Galway food buyers surveyed by Growing Galway Food actively source local produce.
- There are 3,762 food and drink processing jobs based in the western region.
- Growing Galway Food a new initiative aimed at developing the food sector in Galway.
- First state backed organic farm is located in Athenry – 110 hectares.
- 19 Galway County farmers markets and 4 in Galway City.
- 356 restaurants are located in Galway city, the third highest concentration after Dublin and Cork.
- Galway has Failte Ireland nominated food ambassadors.
- 16 food festivals are held in Galway City and County annually.
- In conjunction with Bord Bia, training programmes, grants and the development of a strong infrastructure and food culture within Galway supports the development and success of new food producers.
- 12 nominations for Ireland's best artisan food and greengrocers came from Galway in 2014
Read the full Sector Overview Download the Report (pdf) for this sector