Regional and Local Overview
- Galway employs one third of the country’s 25,000 medical device employees and the West accounts for 39% of regional distribution of medical device.
- There is a significant cluster of medical device companies with Medtronic and Boston Scientific being the largest MNC employers.
- Boston Scientific Ireland Ltd employs 2,800 individuals and Medtronic Vascular Galway Ltd. employs 1,882 individuals.
- The medical device cluster in Galway occurs through university-industry linkages, a continuous development of a skilled labour pool, international reputation through the success of Boston Scientific and Medtronic, the growth of supplier firms and knowledge transfers establishing new start-ups.
- The medical device companies within this cluster are supported by such organisations as Enterprise Ireland, IDA Ireland, Udaras na Gaeltachta, Local Enterprise Office Galway, GMIT and NUI Galway.
- Galway has become recognised for its specialisation in coronary devices.
- The Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering has given rise to an average of 22 graduates per year since 2003.
- A BioInnovate team recruited in Galway, focusing on cardiovascular disease identified the need for a vascular support device and technology to improve vascular embolism.
- REMEDI has recently received €47 million in funding grants for pioneering research initiatives for 36 research projects involving over 200 researchers.
- GMedTech has obtained over €3.5 million worth of funding for an applied biomedical research project and has developed three cardiovascular type simulators for assessing heart attacks, stroke and aortic aneurysms
Read the full Sector Overview Download the Report (pdf) for this sector