Regional and Local Overview
- The drop in the unemployment rate in Galway from 14.4% in 2012 to 11.9% in 2013 has had a positive impact on customer spending.
- Eyre Square Centre incorporates over 60 local and national shops and attracts approximately 185,000 visitors per week.
- In 2014, Galway's retailers experienced a more profitable year than 2013.
- Galway County has a vacancy rate of 15.1%.
- The Galway Continental Market for example has proven to be an attraction for shoppers with 607,000 visitors to the market over its 32 days duration.
- The city of Galway has 3,115 commercial address points, with a vacancy rate of 16.5%, which is down 0.5% from the year before.
- Galway city is above the national average regarding services, health and social, construction and financial units.
- Shop Street had the lowest vacancy rate at 3.0%.
- Some 49,954 people passed through Shop Street December 15th 2012.
Read the full Sector Overview Download the Report (pdf) for this sector